Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

New, Modern Yurt Build In Mongolia

Old 07-25-2024, 11:37 PM   #131
Yurt Forum Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to UKadventurer
Default Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Thanks for verifying the cost question. I did a bit more research and the basic ger from Narantuul "black" market (where most people buy their gers) costs only about $1200 for the 5-wall. This is probably very basic, no floor, no fancy paint jobs. Floorless gers are only really suitable for occasional use family summer camps or nomads who move frequently.

People tend to prefer to spend a bit more. I'll share a link:

https://mongoliabusiness.mn/buy-mongolian-yurt/

The prices are higher than Narantuul and you can upgrade quite a lot from the basic ger. However, $2000 is pretty reasonable. Obviously unfurnished and no floor. A basic wooden floor adds maybe $150 (we have them in our traditional gers). A stove is essential and for winter extra felts.
TSRalex likes this.
UKadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 12:53 AM   #132
Yurt Forum Addict

After a couple of years of living at our camp, it occurred to me that we need a better solution for outdoor life. Yeah, I think slow. I mean a real covered patio not just some chairs and a table taken outside then taken back inside. That was a hassle but we did it for a couple of summers. This is our third summer here.

Well, we built one and it's been a huge hit with us, family, friends and guests. Who'd have thunk it? (Probably everybody).

We mainly made it out of leftover lumber with a few new materials, like extra lumber and roofing. I used the same lumber (10cm lumber (4x4")) which I've used before for the main frame and smaller dimension lumber for the roof supports (perlins?). The roof is just light gauge steel sheet roofing, galvanized and pre-painted. We added lights and sockets. Then we built furniture out of shipping pallets and leftover materials and wool felts for cushions. We used lots of upcycled materials to keep the cost down.

At first it was just 4m L x 4m W (about 13' square) but we liked it so much we extended it another 1.8m (about 2' more) for my bikes and storage of ping-pong table which can't handle rain.

We have some lightweight nylon tarps to act as weather curtains (rain, wind and shade). We've been using it a lot until the bugs became unbearable - we've had an explosion this year - the worst being the horse flies. The old trick of burning dung seems to help. We'll get an outdoor upcycled stove soon for heat and repelling the bugs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5387.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1631

Name:	IMG_5533.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	1632

Name:	IMG_6184.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	1633

We also built some stairs from one excavated level up the hill. It was a bit hazardous climbing the embankment. We added lots more lights too, mainly solar charged type. We have to think of our paying guests too.
Jafo and TSRalex like this.
Old 07-29-2024, 12:40 AM   #133
Yurt Forum Addict

Lightbulb Re: New, modern yurt build in Mongolia

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKadventurer View Post
After a couple of years of living at our camp, it occurred to me that we need a better solution for outdoor life.
I am involved in a project, which would be - IMHO (!) - the perfect solution for you (and many other people around the world...).
At the moment I can't talk about, except the fact, that the project is in development, and we estimate, to launch it next spring (hopefully).

BTW:

You are a very hard-working person in your retirement....
UKadventurer likes this.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 01:18 AM   #134
Yurt Forum Addict

Sounds intriguing. Well, we're not going anywhere so next year is still a decent time frame.
TSRalex likes this.