Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

All Year Yurt Classroom In The UK - Viable? Woodstove Required?

Old 06-24-2024, 01:42 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Question All year Yurt classroom in the UK - viable? Woodstove required?

Hi All,

I've been asked to research yurt classroom options for a primary school in the south of England, UK and would be very grateful for the forum's input.

- They ideally want the yurt to be used all year round, but they are wary of
installing a woodstove due to concerns for the children's safety. In the absence of a woodstove, what are their best options for drying out the yurt after rainfall? Besides ventilation / drying, how much and what kind of regular maintenance / cleaning to the yurt would be required?

- The earmarked plot is the former site of a raised, outdoor swimming pool, and the existing ground surface is level concrete. Would a platform be recommended and if so, why and what kind?

- If they were to go for a year round yurt, would this involve removing and re-installing

insulation

layers on a seasonal basis?

- I wonder if, owing to the amount of maintenance that is likely required whether they might better be served by a wooden cabin rather than a yurt if their budget allows it...

- Are there any other issues they ought to consider?

Many thanks in advance,

Oneworld

oneworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 11:52 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: All year Yurt classroom in the UK - viable? Woodstove required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld View Post
.... yurt classroom options for a primary school.....
A wonderful idea and the round design & atmosphere will have positive impact on the learning success too!

Quote:
- They ideally want the yurt to be used all year round, but they are wary of
installing a woodstove due to concerns for the children's safety.
OMG. At the Boy Scouts I learned in the age of 6, how to handle a wood stove. In all the years in my youth and later, as a Scout-Leader & State-Commissioner (15 years), I have never heard about any accidents.

You can put a safety fence around, if the concerns are really too high, but I would start the school year with intense instruction of wood stove operations - theoretically & practically - for the kids....

Quote:
In the absence of a woodstove, what are their best options for drying out the yurt after rainfall?
IMHO is rainfall no problem if you are buying a modern Yurt, with high-tech architectural fabric.

In the absence of a wood stove, you can install IR-Heater.

Quote:
Besides ventilation / drying, how much and what kind of regular maintenance / cleaning to the yurt would be required?
Look here:
https://www.yurts.com/customer-suppo...ntenance-tips/

Quote:
- The earmarked plot is the former site of a raised, outdoor swimming pool, and the existing ground surface is level concrete. Would a platform be recommended and if so, why and what kind?
I would prefer a platform, because the Yurt-installation and laying the floor will become easier on wood.
You can find some thoughts & info here:
https://www.yurts.com/customer-suppo...fer-platforms/

Quote:
- If they were to go for a year round yurt, would this involve removing and re-installing

insulation

layers on a seasonal basis?
Why should the insulation be removed? It keeps the heat out in summer!

Quote:
- I wonder if, owing to the amount of maintenance that is likely required whether they might better be served by a wooden cabin rather than a yurt if their budget allows it...
I wouldn't be afraid of maintenance (see above....).
A wooden cabin is surely a better solution than standard classrooms, but a Yurt beats it with its atmosphere....

Quote:
- Are there any other issues they ought to consider?
Of course - but I am assuming, that other user of this forum should add their opinions to that point.

I have linked to the sites of

Pacific Yurts

, but you will find helpful information on the sites of other producers too....
oneworld likes this.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 06-25-2024, 01:34 PM   #3
Administrator

I would use a mini-split so you can maximize the space for the students.

If you are getting a modern yurt, then I wouldn't worry about maintenance and insulation too much. Yurts are better with less insulation IMO.
TSRalex and oneworld like this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 01:56 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: All year Yurt classroom in the UK - viable? Woodstove required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
I would use a mini-split so you can maximize the space for the students
Yes - a good alternate idea. And you can cool the Yurt with on hot days.....
Jafo and oneworld like this.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:24 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Many Thanks TDRalex and Jafo for your helpful responses!

TDRalex - should we build a rectangular deck or a circular platform? Will they need a groundsheet on top of the platform? I wonder also how insulation works with windows? Doesn't the insulation cover them up? Please forgive my novice questions...

Jafo - what is a mini-split?
TSRalex likes this.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:45 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Jafo - what is a mini-split?
I am sure you have seen them. They provide heat and AC. Basically a heat pump/AC:

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/d...r-conditioners

https://www.fujitsugeneral.com/us/re...ini-split.html
TSRalex and oneworld like this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 11:35 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
... - should we build a rectangular deck or a circular platform?
When deciding between a round or rectangular platform for a yurt, consider the following points:

Round Platform:
Traditional Design: Aligns with the traditional circular design of yurts, maintaining cultural authenticity.
Complex Construction: Building a round platform can be more complex and require specialized carpentry skills.

Rectangular Platform:
Ease of Construction: Simpler to construct with standard building materials and methods.
Easier to expand or connect with additional structures.
Deviation from Tradition: Does not align with traditional yurt designs, potentially impacting aesthetic and cultural value.

Quote:
Will they need a groundsheet on top of the platform?
What a groundsheet? Do you mean flooring?

Flooring (layer on the platform....): IMHO YES!

For a classroom yurt in southern England, in my eyes a vinyl flooring is highly recommended due to its durability, ease of maintenance, and availability in non-slip varieties.

Quote:
I wonder also how insulation works with windows? Doesn't the insulation cover them up?
At first: Insulation isn't covering the windows, because it would make the window obsolete....

Isolation of windows itself is always a difficult point. Think about, why traditional Yurts don't have windows....

For isolating windows, it depends on which windows you have: Clear vinyl fabric ("PVC") or classical windows with wooden frame and glass (or polycarbonate).

I would opt for panes with a 2-layer, monolithic polycarbonate (each 4 mm thick). It is not necessary to additionally insulate the space between the panes with a gas filling....

All in all, you should choose a different approach to your evaluation.

I have put together a few thoughts for you in the next post.
The assumption was a classroom for a maximum of 20 children.
oneworld likes this.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:45 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Lightbulb Re: All year Yurt classroom in the UK - viable? Woodstove required?

Specifications for a modern yurt as a classroom in southern England:

#### 1. **Yurt design**
- **Platform**: Solid wooden platform with integrated weather protection to protect the yurt from

moisture

and cold floors.
- **Doors**: Insulated double doors (e.g. French doors) with weatherproof seals and safety locks.
- **Windows**: Several double-glazed, insulated windows with adjustable frames for optimal ventilation and light.
- **Insulation**: High-quality reflective insulation on the walls and roof to regulate the indoor climate and reduce energy costs.

#### 2. **Technology**
- **Electricity**: Complete electrical system with LED lighting, power sockets and USB ports.
- **Heating**: Efficient

heating

systems such as a wood-burning stove and/or a mini-split air conditioning unit for

heating

and cooling.
- **Water**: connections for drinking water and drainage pipes for sinks and toilets.
- **Multimedia**: Interactive whiteboard, Wi-Fi access, audio and video systems for presentations and digital learning.

#### 3. **Interior**
- **Classroom furniture**: Ergonomic furniture for 20 students, including height-adjustable desks and chairs, cabinets and shelves for teaching materials.
- **Cloakroom**: Separate areas for storing students' coats and shoes, with personal storage.
- **Flooring**: Durable, easy-to-clean flooring such as vinyl or laminate, ideal for heavy use and easy maintenance.
- **Decoration**: Colorful and child-friendly decorative elements to create a stimulating learning environment.

### Additional features
- **Central roof dome**: Openable, transparent

dome

for natural lighting and ventilation.
- **Rain protection**: Integrated rain gutters and deflector systems to prevent water damage, or a canopy over the entrance to keep the interior entrance area dry
- **Safety features**: smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and emergency exits.

These requirements ensure that the yurt is functional, comfortable and safe for use as a classroom in a primary school setting, while also meeting modern standards.

I estimate the minimum size of such a yurt to be 30 feet.
Or 2 smaller yurts connected to each other next to each other:
One 24-foot yurt as a classroom and a smaller one as a cloakroom, for the toilet and for storing teaching materials.

Now you can try to evaluate details for each single topic. Use AI for.....
Old 06-30-2024, 02:23 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Many thanks again Jafo and TSRalex for your extremely helpful suggestions.

How much use are they likely to get out of the canvas if the yurt is up all year round, which is their stated preference? The UK climate is notoriously damp and it would be helpful to offer a view on how frequently they might need to replace the canvas. I've heard of winter (vinyl?) coverings being used to protect the canvas and wondered what the pros and cons of this approach might be? Obviously extra initial cost and presumably covering the windows but might be worth it to extend the life of the canvas...?
Old 07-01-2024, 12:23 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
How much use are they likely to get out of the canvas if the yurt is up all year round, which is their stated preference? The UK climate is notoriously damp and it would be helpful to offer a view on how frequently they might need to replace the canvas. I've heard of winter (vinyl?) coverings being used to protect the canvas and wondered what the pros and cons of this approach might be?
With the modern tarpaulins (as far as I remember,

Pacific Yurts

gives a 15-year guarantee...) I would only think about a light, overlying protection after 10 years and replace it every 5 - 10 years
Because otherwise you would have to buy a new cover after such a period anyway....

Quote:
... presumably covering the windows
I think covering the windows is a very counterproductive approach in terms of brightness and "visibility"...
To protect the windows, the only thing I would consider is attaching (sticking?) an additional transparent film.

Tags
None